Monday, October 22, 2012

The Butterfinger Cookie Bake-Off!


The only thing that could be better than a cookie loaded with Butterfinger candy bars would be two cookies loaded with Butterfinger candy cars.  I can see you nodding your head in agreement.  



You would think that when I was adding 10 Butterfinger candy bars to the grocery cart on Saturday that Brad would have said something.  I didn't even get a raised eyebrow.  I don't know what this says about me. But I am going to run with it. 


I am just as obsessed with Pinterest as the next girl, but when it comes to adding to my cookie arsenal, I am extra obsessed.  I can't even begin to explain how frustrating it is to make a recipe only to have it fall apart or, even more fun, explode in the oven.  I am going to save you from having to clean your oven.  Well, just from cookies that go all volcano.  The rest of the stuff in your oven, you are in charge of.  I know, I know.  Life isn't fair.

So, let's talk cookie options...

These are Crispy Butterfinger Cookies that I had pinned from two peas & their pod. They feature oatmeal, rice krispies and milk chocolate chips. 


The dough came together very easily and I didn't have to chill it before I rolled it into balls and baked it.  I love that.  I made no changes to their recipe, which almost never happens. 


This recipe made about 2-1/2 dozen cookies which was perfect.  I baked a dozen of them, and froze the rest of the dough for another day.  It's amazingly simple to do.  Just roll the dough into balls, place on a plate in the freezer until they are thoroughly cold.  Then add to a Ziploc freezer bag. 

*Make sure that you write on the outside of the bag with a Sharpie marker what they are, the temperateture at which you will bake them and how long they need to be baked.*

The "I wonder what these are!" game is no fun for anyone.  Not that I would know from experience.  Ahem.

I freeze them before I put them in a bag so that they won't freeze together.  This way, they stay separate in the bag.  When you are ready for cookies, put them in the refrigerator or on the counter until they are thawed and bake as usual.  Don't tell anyone, but I have already started my Christmas cookies.  All frozen and ready for baking! 

If you prefer a chocolate option...


These are Chocolate Fudge Butterfinger Cookies that I had found on Pinterest via Picky Palate


They feature a delicious chocolate dough with chopped Butterfingers and full of chocolate chips.  I admit that I made changes to the recipe.  I'm sorry.  I ran out of cocoa powder and I was desperate.  I used 1/2 cup of cocoa powder and four 1 oz. pieces of unsweetened baking chocolate in place of the 1-1/4 cup of cocoa powder.  By adding this, I reduced the amount of butter by 4 Tablespoons.  I also used dark chocolate chips along with the semi-sweet chips just because I am annoying like that.


I refrigerated the dough for about 30 minutes because it was sticky.  That wouldn't happen if you were a good girl and just used cocoa powder.  If you really want to make your life easier, use a cookie scoop.  Mine had an unfortunate accident that involved a Play-doh war.  There were casualties. Which is why I rolled my dough by hand.  It's a sacrifice I was willing to make. 


Once all the cookies were made, I had three very willing judges to test them for amazingness.  There was also another judge in the living room watching football.  He wasn't so willing to write his favorite down on an index card.  Husbands are so tricky like that.  The monsters all chose the Crispy Butterfinger Cookies (Which they referred to as "Oatmeal" as opposed to chocolate).  I think they are crazy, the Chocolate Fudge Butterfinger Cookies were phenonomenal.  Brad also voted chocolate, in case anyone wants his opinion, which he insists that you do.  Both recipes were amazing and easily passed from "pinned on Pinterest" to actually being used in my kitchen. 

Happy Baking!  





4 comments:

Michelle said...

Awww... come on, you don't want to help me clean my oven too?? LOL These cookies look so good!!! It is dangerous.. pinterest. :)

Juliana Michaels 17turtles said...

Oh MY! These both look like heaven to me! I am so happy you stopped by my blog! So good to hear from you!!!

BB said...

Label your cookies people! I'm here to tell you, when you pop some frozen "ccokies" in the oven to bake and it turns out they are actually meatballs? Nobody wins. NOBODY.

Marek said...

Hummm These coockies look so good !!!