Monday, December 1, 2008

12 Days of Cookies: Andes Mint Cookies!

These are delicious. They are chocolately, minty, cakey and super yummy. These freeze really well, so they are perfect to add to your arsenal of Christmas cookies. Oh wait, am I the only one with an arsenal?

You will need: 3/4 cup butter, 1-1/2 cups brown sugar, 2 T. water, 12 ounces (one bag) of chocolate chips, 2 eggs, 1/2 tsp. peppermint extract, 2-3/4 cups flour, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 1/4 tsp.baking soda and 24 Andes mints.

In a medium-sized sauce pan, melt together the 3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter, 1-1/2 cup of firmly packed brown sugar and 2 Tablespoons of water. Stir together over medium heat.

Add the bag of chocolate chips. Stir together until completely melted.

Set the mixture aside for 10 minutes to let it cool.

While your chocolate mixture is cooling, sift together the dry ingredients: 2-3/4 cups of all-purpose flour, 1/2 tsp salt and 1-1/4 tsp baking soda.

Pour the cooled chocolate mixture into a mixing bowl. Add the two eggs and the 1/2 tsp. peppermint extract. Mix well.

Gradually add in the dry ingredients. Don't over mix the dough. You must, must, must let the dough rest. Put it in the refrigerator for one hour.

If you have a melon baller, it would be perfect for this dough. Roll the dough into balls and place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. If you want to freeze this dough, now is the time. Freeze the balls individually on a plate or cookie sheet. Once they are frozen solid, transfer to a Ziploc bag.

If you are ready to bake, then bake these at 350 degrees for 8-9 minutes.

When they come out of the oven, place half of an Andes mint on the top of each cookie. Let the Andes mint melt.
Gently swirl the chocolate so that it covers the cookie.

Aren't they pretty? Yum. They will harden completely, so you can stack them once they have cooled. I just love mint flavored cookies. Next up: Snickerdoodles!

7 comments:

Carmen O. said...

YUM YUM! Thanks for sharing your recipes. Last week we had two of your recipes for supper and then one on Thanksgiving.

Patrizzia said...

I love Mint and Chocolate together. I may have to try these. The only downfall is that I would be the only one eating them (John and Miabella are not minty fans).. and it's not like my butt needs anything else to make it uber gigantic!

Brook said...

Andes mints are my FAVORITE. I am definitely making these cookies this Christmas. Thanks for the recipe!!!

Jennifer said...

I need these cookies! That's it, I am making them TONIGHT.

Courtney said...

Hey Estee! These cookies look amazing! I was invited to a Cookie Exchange party this year and I think I might just make these! :-) I hope they are fool proof... :-) Thanks!

Amanda Sevall said...

So glad you're sharing all your fabulous cookie recipes! These look soooooo YUMMY! I will have to add these to the list too.... :)

Unknown said...

Absolutely delicious- a teacher favorite today after sampling your cookies via Susan F.