Sunday, August 31, 2008

Zucchini Bread

Could there possibly be anything better than homemade zucchini bread on an I'm wishing it was October and 70 degrees kind of day? Zucchini bread is one of those things that instantly takes me back to the kitchen of my childhood. I can just see myself sitting at the kitchen table talking to my mom and worrying about whether or not my New Kids on the Block t-shirt is clean for school tomorrow. Sigh. The good ol' days.

Let's get started. These are basic ingredients, nothing majorly earth shattering here. You will need 3 c. flour, 1 tsp. baking soda, 1 tsp. baking powder, 1/2 tsp. salt, 7/8 c. melted butter (or you can use oil), 2-1/2 c. sugar, 3 tsp. cinnamon, 1 tsp. allspice, 3 tsp. vanilla, 3 eggs and 2 c. grated zucchini. Have you ever noticed how difficult it is to spell zucchini?

You will need a large bowl to add all of your ingredients to. This is one of those glorious recipes that does not require a mixer. Just a bowl and a spoon. Beautiful.


Hello, dry ingredients. Add your flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, sugar, cinnamon and allspice into the bowl. I didn't sift, don't judge me.
Then we add the melted (or semi-melted in my case) butter. See? I told you this was easy.
Now for the eggs. It is best to add these to a bowl and whisk them with a fork first. That way you won't have to be worried about weird little egg clumps. Shudder.
Then add the zucchini. Or the zuchini. Zucinni. Zuchinni.

I'm not going to lie. This isn't the most appetizing looking batter. But we aren't out to win any awards now are we? Just dig in there with your wooden spoon and mix until everything is combined. Did you preheat the oven? What? You forgot? Well, I probably should have reminded you. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.

Pour your batter into two greased bread pans. I hope that yours are slightly less blurry than mine are. Is your oven preheated now? Great. Put your bread pans in there and bake for an hour.
Helloooooo zucchini bread! You make my house smell so happy.


Do not forget to spread with lots and lots of butter. Yum.

I am finishing up my Mosh Posh projects for September and I made some super cute recipe cards using this recipe, so check back tomorrow because I made 2 extra cards to give away! Have a great Labor Day!!

4 comments:

Carmen O. said...

OMG I love zucchini bread too! When I was in college (when you could only have a toaster and a hotpot in the room) in the dark ages. Once I was lucky to get zucchini bread by care pkg or visiting relatives I got in the habit of toasting the zucchini bread and topping it with a slice of Colby cheese. Now you can tell I was a Wisconsinite can't you? :)

Patrizzia said...

Estee.. Stop!!! Ugh I want some so bad.. I was okay until you said "spread with lots and lots of butter". I just LOVE butter. So yummy and creamy and yummy! :)

I think I will make this deliciousness this week.

Thanks!

shopgirlaudi said...

Mmm...I can almost smell it...drool. I could eat that whole loaf by myself...I REALLY could;)

Anonymous said...

Yummy... I love zucchini bread!!!